Friday, October 5, 2012

Saigon, Ho Chi Minh, is a friendly place no matter what you call it

We just got back last night from Saigon, now known as Ho Chi Minh City, biggest city in all of Vietnam with over 8 million people and 5 million motorbikes! You might say I enjoy Vietnam, especially the south, where the people seem friendlier and more open to foreigners. We visited only
for four days and our days were filled with boat tours down the Mekong and visiting all kinds of art galleries.
We found one artist in particular that we liked and purchased some paintings from him for the gallery.
This painter, drinks, smokes and has a wife that is 30 years younger than he is, seems to be a recurring theme for artists! This seems to be the case with many women in Vietnam that marry men for all the wrong reasons, to find freedom, visa, money etc etc etc, unfortunately many families send the girls to tend to the fields after primary school and are never given the opportunity to do anything else with their lives. I think Ken (my friend and his dad) are having a great time visiting this part of the world, a first for them! Jack could of easily walked away with a new and very young bride.
Today I started to sort and pack for my return home, 19 days and I will be home! I will not make it to a year and a day in Hong Kong, but looking at my travel schedule for the next few months, I will have plenty to write about. Hard to believe that ten months have gone by so quickly.






No comments:

Post a Comment