Monday, November 24, 2014

Obey or Respect

Since the beginning of time children have been told to "obey" everything from parents, to teachers to law enforcement basically anyone that was taller than them. Obey in particular was carried over to adult life for women, in their wedding vows, I will honor and Obey!

Obey a form of social influence, compliance.

Respect a positive feeling, esteem for another person, specific action or conduct.


During lunch last week the conversation about these two words came up and it hit me like a ton of bricks. What are we doing to our children by telling them they need to Obey adults instead of respecting them?
Even as I sit and write this, obey is belittling the person that is instructed to follow that command, making one feel small inferior, unimportant.

Respect, a totally different feeling of empowerment, giving them the ability to respect someone.

The word obey was pushed on me as child to the point that I was never able to question an adult.
If I would have been taught to respect, would things have been different?

Would I have had the courage to question and challenge the person that sexually abused me all those years if I would have learned respect instead of obey? Two simple words that possibly could have changed and given power to one little girl.

Big question.........

No comments:

Post a Comment