Friday, October 30, 2015

"Get over yourself" An update on "Self Revealed" the Naked photography project.

If I can lighten someone's load just a bit by reading this, then it is worth me putting my pain out there!

As of today I have photographed over 117 women. I am in the final stages of shooting, editing and creative design for the exhibit to be held at Gallery 2014 on January 9, 2016!

Throughout this process I have learned a lot about women, our psyche and more importantly myself.
My wish for women on this journey and truly all women, is that we stop as a society that is quick to judge, quick to hate and quick to not tolerate another persons journey. The saying that "everyone has a story" could not be more true.

People are always quick to judge me, "oh she has the perfect life" they say...
"She has a fabulous husband, perfect daughter, lives in a big house, drives a fancy car, travels the world."  When in fact people really know nothing about me! Who am I?

I will tell you, I was a little girl sexually abused, sexually violated/abused  day in and day out for years! I was a young woman that was always judged by my "good looks" and not my spirit, I was a piece of meat in which
most men could not get past my breasts and look me in the eye. Did they care that I had a brain, could carry a conversation and was probably more worldly than them? NO!

Fast forward, I got married to an abusive husband, quickly realized I could not raise my daughter in that environment. My ex husband stole all of my money and did not pay child support.  Temporarily moved back home with the person that abused me with my infant daughter. I threatened him every day, you touch my daughter and I will kill you!!!!!

Ten years single raising my amazing daughter....

Fast forward, I meet a wonderful man, that I can trust and feel safe with, that came with his own baggage and set of issues.

By this time I had been diagnosed with a disease that  for the last 13 years has me go to the doctors every six months, get blood work and adjust my medicines. and I can gain record weight in no time!  In addition to that I have spots in my left lung, that I check once a year, have a tumor, between my eye and nose.  Any my list goes on and on.

I do not tell you all of this because I want you to feel sorry for me, because there is nothing to feel sorry about. I tell you this, because I know many of you have judged me and formed your prejudice towards me and that is okay. At the end of the day, I do not need anyone on MY journey, because only I can live it, no one can live it for me, not my fabulous husband or amazing daughter or my handful of true friends, only I can do that for me.

I am thankful for my life and everything that has come along the way, it has made me stronger,
 compassionate, resilient and finally able to love and accept the person I have become. Life is a work in progress, do not beat yourself up, there are plenty of people that will do it for you!

My you all find the light on your journey!

Love & light,
Elizabeth

p.s. here is my 10 pounds in a month!!! Are you going to make a quick judgement, like me any less?






2 comments:

  1. You are the strongest, bravest, most beautiful friend I have ever had. I'm so sorry I wasn't there to protect you from the pain, and that I can't shield you from it now. The people who were supposed to protect you didn't, and that is so wrong and makes me so angry. I love you.

    ReplyDelete