Friday, July 27, 2012

Slow motion is not for me, trying to adjust to turtle's pace

Well, I am so very thankful that so far all my tests are checking out well. I have been recovering at home with my friend Nery and my daughter Lauren, while Ken was traveling to New York. The doctor told me that it would be at least three months till I feel normal and not feel like I have been hit by a Mac truck!  I find it very difficult to slow down, since none of me (thankfully) is in a cast, it is hard to take things a notch down. I walked the other day for an hour and a half, the doctor scolded me and told me to walk only ten minutes! Really?!
Ken and I went to the Park County Fair the other day, and I found this to be a very interesting event. I remember I loved going to the fair when I was little and seeing all the animals. What I do not remember is the worked and dedication it takes to show your cow, sheep, pig, off to the public for auction. These kids, from ages 8-18 spend a year teaching their cattle how to posture, walk and show themselves off, almost like the Dog shows. These young boys and girls dedicate a year and then the morning of the event they spend the time bathing, shaving, grooming, polishing the hooves and blow drying the cattle to make them top of their class, and at the end of the day after collecting their ribbons, winning first, second and third prize, their precious cattle is auctioned off to the highest bidder and slaughtered the next morning!
My question to you all is, does this make for a better, more well rounded young adult, understanding work dedication and knowing how hard and long one has to work to make a dollar and make ends meet. Or does this
create a person that is harder, colder, more realistic and able to deal with the harsh realities of life?  Are these young people that have nurtured, cared for, and loved their animals for a year's time better adjusted to the realities of life?
I don't know, I would love to ask them how they feel, I know one young girl broke down and cried after receiving her ribbon and I did too. Life is very different out West, the next morning we went to watch the mutton racing, where parents would willingly put their three and four year olds on a sheep and let them ride the sheep while it raced out of the stall. Of course the children had helmets on, but three and four I think it is a bit too young, but then again I think I may be wrong after watching the movie Babies, I realize what a disservice we do when we coddle our children too much.
I will try to post photos tomorrow.
love and light,
E

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like good news about the injury. So glad you are up and about.Looking forward to seeing the photos of the fair.

    ReplyDelete