Monday, July 30, 2012

Going Home! Florida here we come!

Tonight I leave my home in Colorado, to finally go home to Florida,  even though I was home in May, this past month seems like a life time. My father in laws 85 birthday was Friday, it is so nice to see someone enjoy his family so much! I am feeling better and better each day, even though I have been limited to walking only ten minutes a day! This past weekend was the llama and burro race here in Fairplay, this is a tradition that has been around for many years. Basically people pack their burros and run with them for twenty four and a half miles. This town, is usually a sleepy little town, but when they decide to do some type of festivity, they do it right! Lauren says that Fairplay is not normal, it is a Western Disney type place. Of course when she found out that South Park the cartoon show got its name from here, her mouth dropped wide open. People for the most part are in a time warp in the part of the world. They do not care what kind of car you drive, how big your house is, or if you wear designer clothes. They care about hunting, hiking, enjoying the outdoors, and in general just appreciate life. How nice is it to not get caught up in the rat race of it all! The first photo is Lauren, me, my sis in law Nat, mother in law Lavena, Ashley (Ted's girlfriend) Ted (Ken's son) Ron my brother in law, and Chuck my father in law. The second photo, my first dinner out with my girlfriends Cheryl and Nery and my daughter Lauren. The third photo is of the Llama race in town, which was this past Saturday, this race is much easier than the burro race,  the course is a mile and a half up and around town. Easy for me to say because I am not the one running with these stubborn Llamas. The fourth photo is Bob, my plumber that dresses up and plays cowboy on the weekend with his friends to have fun during the festivities. I told him I want to take part next year and play dress up! The photo of Ken and Lauren is after they finished transferring the 6070 pounds of tile from the truck to the porch! Yes that is correct 6070 pounds! My heroes. I was so happy to see this group of male Prong Horn Antelopes hanging around the fire station two days in a row! And the final photos are of a glorious sunset after I dropped my friend Nery at the airport, I had to pull over from the highway to watch this amazing sunset. My final word of advice for now, take time to enjoy the small insignificant moments in life. Those moments when relished will be the ones that at the end of the day mean the most! I have been blessed to have an amazing husband and wonderful daughter that fill my day with those cherished moments.
Here is some information on the Burro Days of Fairplay. :-)
An annual event in Fairplay, Colorado since 1948, Burro Days celebrates the role of the burro in mining days of old.

Always held during the last weekend in July, the 65th Annual Burro Days will take place on Saturday, July 27and Sunday, July 28, 2013.

Psssst, check out the documentary trailer below...Over 10,000 people participate in festivities such as: burro races, llama races, kiddies pack dog races, parades, contests, over 140 arts & crafts booths, over 30 food vendor booths, local musical entertainment, Mountain Man Rendezvous, dance & BBQ, pancake breakfast, Cowboy Church services and more! 














No comments:

Post a Comment