Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Back from the "Crazy Business" of wonderful Myanmar


Nery and I safely returned to a full day of walking around Hong Kong Island. Myanmar! WOW! The best part of our trip, the people that are described as gentle, humorous, engaging, passionate and more. Small bits of information, Myanmar 89% Buddhist, 4 % Christian, 4% Muslim and the rest "other". There are no Mc Donald's, no KFC's, and less than 0.1% of the population uses internet, a cash only economy, no ATM's and no credit cards.
The men wear long skirts called longy's, the women and children and some men wear nakha as makeup and sun block. Both sexes chew battle nut and smoke cigars. In 1962 General Ne Win took over and in 2010 political prisoner Aung San Sui Kyi was released from house arrest. In 2011 Hillary Clinton visited Myanmar, only after Vice President Nixon came to visit in 1953. Lonely Planet published their travel guide on Myanmar in December 2011 an Americans are now flocking to Myanmar.
The big cities are full of dust and pollution, you can eat street food for about a $1.50, and if you want meat or chicken may $3.00 dollars. The best part of Myanmar are the people, serious at first, but give them a smile or a hello and you will be invited to tea or even to share their food. I quickly purchased and wore Longy's and the women and men loved seeing me in them. And then I wore a Pa O head wrap, I do not know which one got more attention! The loved it, the markets were clamoring with excitement when they saw me coming with the men's skirt and my head wrap. I cannot say enough about the peoples kindness, this certainly out ways the air pollution, the dust, the mediocre hotels and everything else that can be expected from a country that is lightyears behind the rest of the world. Bagan and Inle Lake two amazing places to visit. I hope to return to visit the Chin state and the orphanage near Inle.
I am still sorting through the photos, but I thought I would share a few with you. Too many stories to tell!
Good Morning!








No comments:

Post a Comment