Saturday, May 12, 2012

ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD!

While I have enjoyed my time in Japan, I am not sure I love Japan, and that is okay.
Japan is clean, Japan is quiet, Japan is without chaos, Japan feels to me restrained and constrained. I know I complain about my Chinese friends, but they are out in the park in the morning doing the happy dance, doing tai chi, socializing in general, participating in daily life. Even though we have been invited to sit and have tea, and the people  bow and are the most pleasant I have ever seen, (not even a Southern Bell is as sweet), there is something missing in the Japanese culture. Thank God they have Karaoke and Harajuku girls (Harajuku (原宿 "meadow lodging")  listen is the common name for the area aroundHarajuku Station on the Yamanote Line in the Shibuya ward of TokyoJapan.
Every Sunday, young people dressed in a variety of styles including gothic lolita,visual kei, and decora, as well as cosplayersspend the day in Harajuku socializing. The fashion styles of these youths rarely conform to one particular style and are usually a mesh of many. Most young people gather onJingu Bridge, which is a pedestrian bridge that connects Harajuku to the neighboringMeiji Shrine area). This is how these people relax! Japanese are the first to travel the world and explore, but try to visit them, you need a PHD to read to the subway rails, and pray that your taxi driver speaks English, and forget about getting a menu in English. And do not even think of not having fish or sushi three times a day! My God I would never be able to eat fish three times a day like the Japanese do! It is no wonder they are always trying to fish in someone else's territory. Today, Starbucks saved me, there was no way I was going to have todays breakfast, fish, salmon, paste, tofu, some other stuff and rice! Yipes! What happened to a plain old muffin! I know I sound so American, and it is probably the first time in sixty countries that I have visited that I am turned off by food. Today we finally heard one horn honked after five days, everything in Japan is QUIET! Tomorrow I go home, on mothers day to be with my baby (of 19 years) to be around friends and loved ones. To eat Cuban food and to sleep in my bed. I am counting the hours, I have never looked so forward to going home!
Happy Birthday Ileana! I love you!
Good night! E

No comments:

Post a Comment