Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sick as a Hong Kong Dog

Today I woke and an hour later I was in terrible pain! I was in my room, on my bed dying, getting ready to call any ambulance that would come on a Sunday morning. Then I started searching for pills to help with my terrible pain. I
have had this pain before, I get this heat and cramps at the beginning of my stomach, I get nauseous and feel like vomiting  with chills. After a half hour and a pill I finally threw up! What a relief, temporary, but a relief. I then took another pill and prayed for the pain to go away. I am not sure what it was, if it was a week of heavy foods while my mom was visiting or if it was food poisoning.  I am glad that it is over! I still have some ache, but nothing compared to this morning. We went to the movies this afternoon and saw The Exotic Marigold Hotel with Judy Dench and a caste of fabulous actors.  I loved the movie,  the fact that is was in amazing India and the message the
movie contained. The movie actually contained several messages, one: you live your life a certain way and think you know the people around you, but you really don't, sometimes you really don't even know yourself. The other is that there is hope at the end of the tunnel, that maybe just when your life is over as you know it, something  changes and there is a new beginning.  Today there was an article in the paper Chinese women seeking middle age foreign men, and Chinese women willing to pay $5,000 (about $500.00 U.S.) to meet foreigners through speed dating. The fact of the matter is that there are many Asian women dating or married to "white" men. Very rarely do you see a "white" woman with a Chinese man. One article said that men and Chinese in general do not do casual dating, the other possibilities, white women do not necessarily want to be with a man that is shorter and weighs less than them. Lastly the article stated that it is still frowned upon in society for a Chinese man to marry outside the culture, and that men usually do not marry foreign women because when the men marry Chinese, they are the ones that are "wearing the pants" sort of speak. I think all thoughts make perfectly good sense to me. The only thing I am uncomfortable about  is that most of these women are very young compared to the much older gentlemen they are with. One week until I go home!

1 comment: