Saturday, January 28, 2012

The joy of sunshine is short lived!


Today before we venture out, I wanted to share one of Ken's first sketches in Hong Kong. To watch him sketch out in public is really funny, everyone stands around him to view the masterpiece in progress!
Brave soul that he is, I would be mortified! So I thought I would share a little bit of fun facts while we are here.
I will not get very deep, that is Ken's department! For those of you that don't know Kong Kong means fragrant harbor, I am sure at one time it was, when I am not sure. The other factoid, more Rolls Royce cars were sold in China last year than anywhere else! The immense amount of wealth that is seen here on a daily basis is crazy. And I am only seeing it by viewing how many people are being driven by chauffeurs in luxury cars and the amount of inventory that is taken in on a daily basis in stores such a Gucci, Prada, Louis on and on and on.....
We are off for the daily adventure to Kowloon. Have a great night!

We had another full day of being out and about despite the gloomy weather. We started on a familiar walk to the flower market and then to the bird garden. Now this is a place where one should go and just sit for a long while and observe. To watch these men (no women) go through the process of selecting a five dollar bird is mind boggling to me. They pick a cage up, look at the bird intently and look and then look and look again. This process my take fifteen to twenty minutes or more! They may have two, three or four bird cages in their hands at a time, and then sometimes after all that looking, the picking up, putting down the cages they may end up not even buying a bird!
Truly fascinating! Throughout the day the men come with their pretty cages to the park and try to one up each other. My bird is better than yours!

We were hungry and decided to find a place for lunch, we found the Federal Palace restaurant located on the third and fourth floor of a building on Nathan Road. Ken and I were the only white people there and I am sure the only
white people for a long time to come. Ken figured how to order and we had dim sum and some other gooey and mushy things to eat. I am not sure I can get used to the texture of a lot of these things. I will post an example of the chicken skin I had at Canteen's on Thursday. We walked some more, stop by the park across the Jockey club and watched the men play the odds on the horses.
Walked a bit more and came across the Kowloon Park, a lovely green space that I will make a regular visits to while Ken is working. They had all kinds of birds and people. Along the streets I could not help but shoot some people that caught my eye. One in particular, when I saw him from behind, I know it was a man by the way he was standing, but
I almost fell on my ass when I continued to walk to see him from the front. That photo I will show you tomorrow. All in all a fun day of people watching and observing this intriguing culture.
















1 comment:

  1. So is it the old men in the bird park? Didn't see young guys in the pics!
    Xoxo until maƱana !

    ReplyDelete