Saturday, April 7, 2012

From Ha Long to Saigon

I am not sure what happened, but I had written all about my travels and now I cannot find it. So I will start all over again! I finally went to see Halong Bay, a place I have always dreamed of seeing. The drive from Hanoi to Ha Long is over 3 1/2 hours, on that drive I saw factory after factory. Once I arrived to Ha Long, it was a bit overcast, but you could see the impressive cliffs from the shore. I boarded my brown wood boat and was given cabin 203, a lovely room and great ship. I sailed with Indochina Sails, one of the nicer boats from what I could see in they bay. We cruised to caves, saw lagoons and enjoyed a breezy sunset. I even tried my hand at squid fishing and I was the only one that caught what I think was the one and only squid! I must say after sitting down on the first levels and watching everything possible float by me, I felt bad for the squid and the environment it had to live in. Every body of water that I have seen is severely polluted. I am in such shock that all of Asia had not gotten the message on how precious water is, along with the air pollution these folks are doomed. I left the next day and spent one night in Saigon exploring the city, which really surprised me at how nice of a city it is. Saigon is much younger than Hanoi and even though it is larger, it is cleaner and better kept, again I think this is because of the age difference. I visited th Cu chi tunnels about 70 km from Saigon, a very elaborate tunnel system with every trap immaginable. After walking though the tunnels and seeing how they lived, it is no wonder we lost the war. This complex tunnel system had been in use for over thirty years and was the stronghold for Vietnam. I am now in Can Tho along the Mekong delta. I am at the lovely Victoria Can Tho resort. Tomorrow I will spend my last day going to the floating market and then drive back to Saigon. I am not looking forward to flying since I had a very difficult time depressurizing my nose two days ago. I must say I need to thank Ms. Thao Nguyen which has been very professional and attentive in correcting a few issues that arose during my travels. Ms. Thao and her counterpart in Saigon Mr. Alan have been superb and I would suggest to anyone considering travel in Indochina that they check out Travel Vietnam. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment