Monday, April 2, 2012

Hello Vietnam

Just having breakfast, will update with all the details of the trip so far. I am still sick, but plugging along. I arrived Hanoi nonstop from Hong Kong, did a few hours tour around Hanoi and the went to the train station. Hanoi has changed and grown so much since the last time I was there in 1998. The population has grown from about one million back then to 6.5 million today. Hanoi is the second largest city after Saigon (Ho Chi Min). Needless to say there are now skyscrapers, thousands of mopeds and people, before just bikes and small buildings. The one thing that has not changed is they love to use their car horns! The train ride was an experience to say the least! The train station is completely dark by the tracks! While I was waiting I watched them wash down the train, which must be at least my age if not older. I then proceeded to my train and found my room. Fours beds, of course I had been assigned one of the tops ones an had the company of what I thought were to be three Chinese men! The train moves forward and sideways! There are times during the night I thought for sure it was going to derail off its tracks. Today I am in Sapa staying at the Chapa Garden Hotel, Sapa is a lovely frontier hillside town, with many persistent tribal women selling their goods. Will post photos later.

No comments:

Post a Comment