Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Too tired, too sick, too exhausted to survive the King Express train from Lao Cai to Hanoi

I barely made the train last night, after walking 13 km from Sapa to Lao Chai, we drove back to Lao Cai to take the train back to Hanoi. My absentminded guide thought my train left later and when he brought back the ticket to the restaurant, it was 19:30 and my train was to leave at that time. I rushed paid my bill and ran while I was on the phone with Ann. Running through the streets trying to avoid buses, bikes and peole I made it with a few seconds to spare. This time in my cabin I has a couple from Australia and one Vietenamese. This train had slightly harder and smaller beds, and a duvet cover with no duvet. The reason for no duvet, because they turn off the air and then you spend the next four hours sweating your ass off! I arrived Hanoi at 4:30 a.m., my tour company had a day room for me at the New Moon hotel. Can I say Yuck! The sheets were soiled and had cigarette holes in them. To make matters worse the bathroom towels were also dirty! Trying to get at least one hour sleep was impossible, especially when my sister in law was pocket dialing. Overall the countryside is lovely, the poor mountains have been worn be hundreds do years of terrace scaping and the H'mong, red Zao and Zay women are exhausting pushing their goods. This morning I toured a village close to Hanoi and walked another three miles plus. This afternoon I am happy to say that I have checked in to the Silk Path hotel in Hanoi with clean sheets and towels. I am exhausted, being sick and taking all these antibiotics is really wearing on me. God only knows what I have because my doctors in Hong Kong have not figured it out. I think I may have to visit a doctor in the U.S. that can clear my sinuses. The only problem would be the hours getting home! I can barely take the pressure of a two hour flight or making it up the mountain. Tomorrow it is Halong Bay! For some reason I cannot post photos from my IPad, sorry. :-(

1 comment:

  1. My love, you are one tough cookie! But I think you need to take care of yourself better, slow down and find some rest time even if you have to miss a few things. I am sure your photos are going to be super, because the stories are already incredible. I have already recommended you to the photography instructor at University School who will be contacting you soon to come in to address her class and tell them what it is like to be an international photojournalist. You have come into your own in that regard, my dear. You are as good as it gets.

    ReplyDelete