Sunday, April 15, 2012

On the quest for paper

Paper, paper of all kinds is hard to find! I have been on a search for paper, for my workshop at the Museum upon my return. Oh this brings me to a very important point, the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale, has their new spring & summer catalog! Do yourselves a favor and sign up for one of their classes! They have everything you can imagine, drawing, painting, ceramics, textiles, digital arts, children's programs! I did say everything! Give it a chance you might find a passion you never knew existed! I have had the pleasure of taking the ceramics class, a blast! My favorite was the printmaking class because it gives me another outlet for my photographs! So you can't draw a line, who cares? Go and have fun! There are many things to learn and you never know what creative monster lies inside you. Take a group of friends and throw the wheel together! You will be thrilled to hear  the child in you start squealing at all the fun! Hope to see some of you in May. Today we walked and walked in the humidity, searching for galleries, looking at different art work, what make some art so attractive? Is it the paper? You see there is a
theme to this blog. We saw photographs on beautiful paper, an artist doing Chinese brush on recycled paper.
I was looking for paper lanterns. Paper, paper, paper!
 Before I go to the U.S. I will have had another visitor, my mom. I hope she is ready to walk and for the humid air! Then I will spend a few days in Japan (in search of paper) before I head home. Lauren will have finished her first year of college and Hanna will be graduating and off to college! My baby cousin will be back home! All great things! I cannot believe how time passes so quickly.
Here are your fun facts about Hong Kong, not sure all of them are true, but this is what they say:

•    Hong Kong has the most skyscrapers (classified as buildings with more than 14 floors) in the world with 2,000 – almost double of second-place New York City.

•    The Regent hotel in Tsim Sha Sui has been designed so that the dragons can pass through and feed at the harbor. There is a fountain to attract them and huge glass windows to allow them to pass through

•    Lucky numbers in Hong Kong are 2, 3, 6, 8 and 9 – unlucky numbers are 1, 4 and 7 (4 and 7 sound like the Chinese word for death)

•    At funerals, Hong Kong residents burn items that they think will help the deceased in the afterlife, such as money

•    Residents of Hong Kong worship several gods that represent different beliefs. People have different statues for gods representing fertility, longevity, and prosperity in their homes

•    98% of Hong Kong’s income goes to the top 3% of society

•    Hong Kong has the highest average IQ in the world at 107

•    The Tsing Ma Bridge is the world’s longest road and rail suspension bridge and a landmark of Hong Kong

I will leave you with a few more photos, nothing artistic about them, just interesting.
 cave

 talented pig can eat and pee endlessly at the same time

believe it or not there is a river underneath all that litter!

No comments:

Post a Comment